Our employees choose McElhanney because they value what our company does day in and day out. We are friendly, down-to-earth, collaborative, passionate, committed to safety, and contribute to the communities where we live, work, and play. Our company has a history of employees who have spent their entire careers at McElhanney – celebrating 30-, 35-, and 40-year anniversaries – thanks to rewarding projects and long-lasting relationships with amazing staff. At McElhanney, you get big company opportunities with a small company feel.
“It is like a family here – everyone works closely with each other. We’re able to be honest and ask questions. We’re open to ideas, and different ways of thinking, which enables our young engineers, and even us senior engineers, to be creative with the type of solutions that we come up with.”
As a McElhanney employee you can expect:
- An inclusive, family-like culture.
- Annual performance bonuses and competitive salaries, with overtime pay for eligible positions (including overtime pay for positions that are typically exempt under Canada’s Employment Standards Act) .
- An opportunity for qualified staff to become company shareholders.
- Great benefits, including a full health and dental package, healthcare spending account, RRSP matching, maternity leave top-up, and parental leave.
- An employee and family assistance program, which offers 24/7 health, life-balance, career, and counselling support for all employees and families online or over the phone.
- Ongoing professional development support and mentorship opportunities.
- Flexible work hours to accommodate your lifestyle.
1. We care about each other, our clients, and our communities.
We are proud to support our employees and communities through our McElhanney Cares program. From local events to employee wellbeing initiatives, McElhanney Cares is an integral part of our identity, allowing us to celebrate our local communities by giving back. Some of our recent activities include:
- Participating in the annual Prince George Climb for Cancer event
- Donating to the Y Women’s Emergency Shelter in Kamloops
- Releasing 7,000 chinook salmon fry into Quibble Creek in Surrey for Earth Day
- Annual participation in the Vancouver Sun Run – in 2019, with 202 runners, we placed second out of 82 engineering firms in the race!
- Two of our engineers travelled to Uganda in 2019 as part of a Bridges to Prosperity team, which assists developing communities in building and maintaining infrastructure.
2. We are driven by our grit, passion, and perseverance.
Whether we’re in the field in northern BC, on site on the Trans-Canada Highway in the Albertan Rockies, or surveying in downtown Victoria, we take on our clients’ challenges like they’re our own.
3. We rally behind safety and respect for all.
We all play a critical role in keeping our teammates safe. We think safe, work safe, so we can get home safe. We all contribute to a diverse workplace, where all perspectives and opinions are sought out and valued.
4. We Own it.
“Own it” describes the McElhanney way. It’s a commitment we make to ourselves, and to each other. It means if the solutions are not clear, we dig deeper. If people aren’t uniting, we bring them together.
Women at McElhanney (WAM)
Women still make up only a minority of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) roles. WAM aims to listen to and advocate for women within the industry, to achieve a more even playing field.
Equity, Diversity, & Inclusion (EDI)
Our EDI committee works towards building a more equitable workplace and to achieve a sense of belonging for all staff. It is built upon our core value of Safety and Respect for All.
Young Professionals (YPs)
Our young professionals are the next generation of leaders and decision makers at McElhanney. This committee is a space for them to explore how they’ll get there, and to identify what support and tools they need to be successful.
McElhanney’s WAM committee co-hosted a panel discussion with Women in Consulting Engineering (WCE) Vancouver entitled, “The Dirt on Field Work.” The panel included our very own Patty Burt, RPBio, PBiol, discussing challenges that exist for women on site and how we can encourage change in the future.
75 of McElhanney’s young professionals (YPs) travelled to Courtenay, BC to kick off our inaugural YP Conference!
With attendees from almost every branch, YPs from different regions and disciplines built meaningful connections while collaborating on our Corporate Strategic Plan.
Our EDI committee hosted a series of staff consultation and education sessions on Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion at McElhanney. These included external speakers and internal workshops.
Trail Building Night
As part of a McElhanney Cares initiative, McElhanney’s Whistler office teamed up with the Whistler Off Road Cycling Association (WORCA) to sponsor a build night on the new Far Out climb & Flashback decent trails.
As part of a well-being initiative, employees worked to establish new health habits in 2020 by participating in challenging themselves to a step goal for thirty consecutive days. Collectively we took 21,012,835 steps in one month!
At McElhanney, we take pride in having an open-door policy.
If you have an idea, we want to hear it! That’s why having approachable, friendly, and accessible leaders is hugely appealing to our employees, no matter your role.