Our landscape architects cover a diverse spectrum of projects in the public and private sectors. We use a multidisciplinary approach to adapt a balance between built and natural environments while modifying the landscape for human use and enjoyment through design, planning, and management.
Our trail experts are an eclectic group of experienced, and passionate trail users who have planned some of Western Canada’s most epic outdoor adventures. From trails through downtown cores, to remote backcountry trails, to world class mountain bike race course design, we do them all.
- Trails policy
- Trail master and management planning
- Trail inventory and condition assessment
- Trail schematic, concept, and detailed design
- Technical trail feature and trail infrastructure design
Parks enhance our quality of life and help protect our environment. We work extensively throughout some of Canada’s most treasured parks.
Whether it’s the development of a parks master plan, the detailed design of day use area or the creation of an urban destination park, our parks experts are ready to create exceptional natural spaces.
- Parks policy
- Parks and open space master planning
- Park management planning
- Park inventorying and asset condition assessment
- Park schematic and detailed design
- Campground and day-use area design
Public realm integration is the design and shaping of urban environments to make the public realm functional, attractive, and sustainable. We do this through the grouping of buildings, streets, public spaces, transportation corridors, neighborhoods, districts, and entire cities.
- Streetscape improvements
- Main street rehabilitation
- Downtown revitalization
- Promenades and public realms
- Urban plazas and squares
- Highway corridors
- Public transit corridors
- Active transportation corridors
- Placemaking and wayfinding
- Public art
- Subdivision site development
- Multi-family living
- Transit-oriented site development
- Landscape architectural design guidelines
- Entry monuments
- Urban infill site development
- Placemaking and wayfinding
- Landscape art
Innovative concepts and high-quality features embolden places and the visitor experience as part of our commercial and hospitality landscape designs. McElhanney’s master plans use an inclusive mix of hard and soft landscapes to create memorable and unique spaces.
- Resort master planning and design
- Corporate grounds
- Retail/ mixed use commercial
- Pedestrian-oriented malls
- Big Box Retail
- Eco-industrial business parks
- Warehouse complexes
- Storage yards
Learning is social and occurs in outdoor spaces and plazas across campus. Our sustainable campus and institutional designs create public spaces that are durable, inspirational, and restorative.
- Primary and secondary schools
- University campus master planning and design
- Institutes, academies and colleges master planning and design
- Age-in-Place and assisted living facilities
- Therapeutic gardens and courtyards
- Correctional services: remand centres, courthouses and training grounds
- Emergency services: fire and emergency medical service stations
As we undertake the complex task of uncovering the human story, McElhanney encourages stewardship and research improvements in our cultural and historic landscapes.
- Cultural landscape preservation
- Historic landscapes preservation and restoration
- Interpretive programming
- Museums and outdoor exhibits
Any landscape holds the potential to improve and restore ecosystem benefits. Clean air and water, runoff prevention, or simply providing safe habitats are essential to healthy communities and our well-being.
- Reclaimed landscapes and streambanks
- Roof gardens
- Rain gardens
- Constructed storm ponds
- Bio-retention cells
- Naturalization and forest restoration
- Urban forestry
Shoreline and waterfront landscape design offer some of the most spectacular and singularly challenging sites. At McElhanney, our projects cover the full spectrum of facilities ranging from private marinas to resort master plans or revitalized urban waterfronts.
- Beach development: public and private
- Marinas: public and private
- Water-front promenades and sea-walks
- Sea walls
- Shoreline protection
Trees and their health are very important to those who manage outdoor spaces. Our certified arborist provides timely assessments and is supported by a multidisciplinary team.
- Tree species identification
- Risk assessment
- Tree health assessment
- Monetary appraisal
- Development plan reviews
- Impact assessment and mitigation planning for construction